- Project: Contribution to the improvement of the capacity and the control of theroad border crossing in Połowce
- Beneficiary: Podlaskie Voivode
- Priority area: Security, Stability and Support for Reforms
- Voivodeship: podlaskie
- Grant amount: CHF 15 886 806
- Co-financing amount: CHF 2 803 554
- Project physical duration: 01.07.2012 - 30.11.2016
- the whole shell as well as the entire roof and cover structure in the passport-customs clearance of trucks, service building, administrative building, pedestrian traffic thorough inspection building, technical building with a boiler room,
- works on the external heating network and telecommunication ducts are underway,
- work is underway related to the purchase of machinery and equipment facilities.
Open but safe borders on the Polish-Belarusian crossing in Połowce
The conditions, encountered at the Polish-Belarusian crossing in Połowce, could not be called European – checks were carried out in temporary tents, administrative rooms were placed in the containers standing at the road, there was no devices and equipment. For those reasons, the crossing in Połowce handled local movement only (only the Poles and Belarusians), also, it was not possible to clear trucks and coaches there. As a result of the work undertaken at the beginning of 2011, the situation is to change dramatically. As since that time, the crossing development and modernisation project, co-financed by the Swiss Fund, has been implemented there.
Thanks to it, the crossing in Połowce may be called a fully European place of control. In the border area, the necessary buildings will be constructed (including facilities for customs services, border services, administration and designed for detailed controls of pedestrians) as well as the entire infrastructure. There will also be service buildings, sanitary facilities and special shelters where it will be possible to clear trucks. The rooms will be equipped with modern equipment (including a special X-ray machine for cars), which will significantly increase security and help prevent smuggling (both of goods and people). The customs officers will be able to clear those entering and leaving Poland in a faster and more convenient way (it is estimated that thanks to these investment project, the capacity of the crossing will increase by several times). It will be used also by nationals of other countries, as well as those travelling by coach and drivers transporting goods in trucks of up to 7.5 tonnes. Thanks to the development and modernisation of the crossing, many more people will use it and for the local people this means increased cross-border traffic and related increased interest in their products and services.
Content based on the text written by Agata Motyl.
(source: archive of the beneficiary)